Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Juice Pulp: Doubling Down

Ken and I started a juicing regimen late last year.  We were inspired to eat healthier after watching Food Matters and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix.  We had made the switch to buying organic and cutting out a lot of processed foods from our diet six years ago after watching Food, Inc., but we wanted to take things up a notch.  We wanted to make sure we were getting the recommended 6-8 servings of fruit and veg every day.

While my husband is a little more hardcore about his regimen, I mainly have juice at breakfast with toast or oatmeal, and occasionally as a mid-morning or afternoon snack.  If I've eaten a heavy lunch, I might also have green juice in place of a meal at dinner.

While I like the idea of juicing, there is the dilemma of what to do with the pulp.  When we first started juicing, we composted the pulp in our barrel composter.  After that filled up, we stopped composting and felt bad about throwing out the pulp every day.

Pinterest has been helpful in solving the dilemma.  Ideas for juice pulp abound, and I've found some pretty interesting things to try.  Like adding it to mac n' cheese.  Or making fruit leather.  Today I've made this bread.


The pulp is a mix of strawberry, orange and grapefruit from my mid-morning snack, plus kale, apple and carrot from Ken's lunch.   Verdict:  A little too much kale, but with a bit of honey drizzled over the top, it's actually pretty good.  I'll definitely try my hand at this bread again, with a few minor adjustments.

No comments:

Post a Comment